On April 8, 2010, HuffPost's splash front page story was:
So what kinds of user comments do you think HuffPost reviewed, approved and decided to publish on this thread?
The radical leftists that HuffPost attracts and protects claim they are America's real "patriots." So what types of comments do you think they submitted in response to this story? Below is a sampling, captured and submitted to Huff-Watch by an astute observer. As you can see, they contain a variety of:
- Denunciations of Pfc. Bergdahl
- Incendiary libels against the U.S. military
- Intra-user personal dramas and fighting
- Assorted other off-topic blather
In summary, as in other cases (1, 2, 3) of stories concerning American soldiers, HuffPost essentially allowed the comments section to be hijacked by the radical leftists and anti-U.S. military propagandists that it has protected, enabled and emboldened, to engage in exactly the type of behavior that it vehemently claims it works to hard to prevent.
As you review these comments, keep the following in mind:
- HuffPost has been pre-moderating user comments on its news threads since at least March 2008 --- meaning that no comment appears without HuffPost having reviewed, approved and made the decision to publish it. This was all confirmed by Ms. Huffington in a July 2008 interview. When asked to identify the biggest mistake HuffPost made since its debut, she replied:
"From the beginning, I would have established a policy of pre-moderating all comments on the site... [O]ur comments on the news site were originally post-moderated (i.e., objectionable comments were removed only after our moderators were alerted). We eventually decided that it was worth the substantial effort and expense to have human pre-moderation on both blogs and news."
- At the top of each page at HuffPost is the following status bar --- in this case, showing that while HuffPost had reviewed, approved and published 425 comments, 892 were "pending" its approval:
And as is shown in the graphic above, the following notice appears beneath this status bar:
“Want to reply to a comment? Hint: Click "Reply" at the bottom of the comment; after being approved your comment will appear directly underneath the comment you replied to”
- HuffPost's "Comment Policy" claims that the site prohibits "off topic comments... ad hominem attacks..." HuffPost also claims that it works diligently, 24-7, to prevent violations of its policies from appearing on the site.
- Some of the comments that HuffPost reviewed, approved and decided to publish sound like they came directly from al Qaeda, Hamas, the Taliban, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Might some of them be among the 135,000 users that visit HuffPost from Iran and Pakistan each month, who may disguise themselves behind American-sounding user names (See Section 4.3 here)?
- Ms. Huffington and other HuffPost representatives have insisted that comments that violate its policies only "accidentally... slip through" (see Section 1 here, and here). Further, as is documented in Sections 6 & 7 in this special report, HuffPost routinely bans non-violating users after as few as six comments, for daring to challenge or mock the most egregious violators of its "comment policy."
- Many of these users have 20 to over 400 or more "fans" (highlighted in bold), meaning they are not hit and run "trolls" that Ms. Huffington falsely claims are the ones primarily responsible for comments that violate her site's policies.
- Can you imagine how Pfc. Bergdahl's family, colleagues and loved ones would have felt if they decided to visit HuffPost --- the world's #1 blogsite, and one that has been legitimized by President Obama and top advertisers --- to see how it dealt with his heartwrenching video?
motoGpifupleez 155 fans permalink
Amazing that this young mans family has greater evidence of his health and well being that anyone "disappeared" by America. [...] Posted 11:47 AM on 4/08/2010
wadenelson1 335 fans permalink
Good thing for American GI's who get captured that America doesn't condone torture or violate any of the Geneva Conventions. [...]
Posted 11:45 AM on 4/08/2010
undecidedaboutPOTUS 400 fans permalink
Here's some data that shows the US Federal Deficit as a Percentage of GDP for the last three years of the Clinton Administration it is negative
1998 8793.5 -0.79
1999 9353.5 -1.34
2000 9951.5 -2.37
Also, there is a difference between an annual deficit/surplus, which in fact Clinton had as president --- surplus--- and the national debt. Debt is the prior year deficits. [...]
Posted 11:49 AM on 4/08/2010
Zoobe Kanuba 61 fans permalink
I met my first real live teabagger last night at El Torito! An older guy who proceeded to claim that: The Clinton surplus is a myth. The bush spending a flat out lie and that Obama is turning us into socialists. All the while claiming that the president was going to mess with his social security and medicare. I tried to point out the hypocrisy but was enjoying the fantastic display of ignorance too much.
Posted 11:26 AM on 4/08/2010
Zoobe Kanuba I'm a fan of this user 61 fans permalink
There seems to be plenty of off topic comments here today! I suspect the ones complaining just about me are the ones I'm targeting! [...]KeepMeLearning 401 fans permalink===========
IkkoIkki 21 fans permalink
the message i'm trying to convey to you is that you appear ridiculous with your smiley faces and joy over reaching 400 fake-friends on a thread where we're talking about a soldier captured by the enemy.
SteveDenver 143 fans permalink
I hope he isn't treated the way the U.S. treats foreign prisoners.
Posted 10:19 AM on 4/08/2010
WSAY 77 fans permalink
This is where the Bush - Cheney torture policies come back to haunt. We tortured them. What do you suppose they do to our people? Bush and Cheney should be indicted.
Posted 10:44 AM on 4/08/2010
liberalbug 82 fans permalink
Another young man that will likely be sacrificed to the military industrial complex. [...]
Posted 10:59 AM on 4/08/2010
poco767c 694 fans permalink
I hope they treat him better than America treats many of their prisoners.
Posted 10:58 AM on 4/08/2010(Ed. See this profile for examples of how HuffPost has chosen to protect enable and protect "poco," one of its most notorious anti-U.S. military and anti-Semitic propagandists.)
IkkoIkki 21 fans permalink
hmm, somehow i dont think begging and pleading is what american soldiers are taught to do if theyre captured
Posted 10:56 AM on 4/08/2010
SpringtimeinNLD 14 fans permalink
How about the people that the USA holds in GITMO? Do they have families?
Posted 10:53 AM on 4/08/2010
To all the leftists who complain about GITMO, and liken it to how the Nazis treated prisoners, here's some other data:
- Obama admin reviews Gitmo, says contrary to propaganda it is nearly a model prison facility - and conforms to Geneva Convention (here)
- Gitmo detainees order food from menus of custom Islamic meals; receive prayer rugs, new Korans (here)
- Gitmo detainees get cable TV, Sudoko, email lessons, full medical and dental care, and gain weight while in custody (here)
- al Qaeda training manual --- instructs captured operative to cry abuse at hands of coalition forces when there was none, to muster sympathy of "human rights" groups, and a newsmedia that will automatically believe them, and not reveal the truth even when it is discovered (here, here)
- 400 reports of violent Gitmo detainee assaults on US soldiers while in custody (here)
- Brussels officials: Gitmo better, more humane than our jails (here)
- West Point Combating Terrorism Center report - 73% of Gitmo detainees are "demonstrable threat to Americans" (here)